This is it folks -- the mother of all desserts: Magic Bars. These little babies combine my three favorite dessert ingredients: chocolate (of course!), caramel, and nuts.
There are many different names for these bars: Magic Cookie Bars, Hello Dolly Bars, Seven-Layer Bars, and (the very creative) Chocolate Coconut Bars. But they all equal the same thing: a dessert so rich that you only need about one piece to satisfy your sweet tooth. Unless you have my sweet tooth, which means you'll eat until your stomach hurts.
I combined a few of the recipes I found to make a more wholesome version of this recipe. Notice I didn't say "lighter" version, just "wholesome". So even though they're still loaded with calories, they'll make you fuller, which means you'll eat less of them. Unless, of course, you're like me. I think I may have a problem.
Magic Cookie Bars
- 1 cup whole wheat graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1 Tb brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
- 1 1/2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
2. In small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, oatmeal, brown sugar, and butter; mix well.
Press crumb mixture firmly on bottom of baking pan.
3. Sprinkle chocolate chips, coconut and pecans on top. Pour the condensed milk evenly.
4. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until slightly golden on top.5. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan.