Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Almond Brittle


The local co-op in my town has one of the largest bulk sections I have ever seen in a grocery store: two large walls FULL of containers of various flours, nuts, grains, spices, and so much more. Walking through this aisle, I feel like a kid in a candy shop or a Carrie Bradshaw in a Mahnolo Blahnik store. Have you ever walked out of a shoe sale and painfully wondered how you just managed to spend hundreds on a pair of strappy stilletos or knee-high boots? Well, I haven't, but too many times I have walked out of this co-op wondering how I spent $50 on a bunch of groceries, most of which cannot be eaten without first being baked or cooked.

Although my main weaknesses are the bulk flours and grains, I also cannot resist the bulk almond brittle. 8 bucks a pound will get you the yummiest locally grown almonds, roasted, and smothered in a sugary-buttery caramel coating. Oh. My.

This here is my attempt to recreate this almond treat; because although kids can't make candy (not any that I know of, anyway) and Carrie Bradshaw can't make shoes, I CAN make almond brittle, and I did.

Although this brittle is a bit different than the one at my co-op (their's is more like caramel-covered almonds than brittle), I think it is just as good (maybe even better). It is sweet without being overly so, crunchy and not at all chewy, and extremely satisfying. Now, if only I could make my own flour, I'd be set!
Almond Brittle
*1 cup white sugar
*1/2 cup brown sugar
*1/2 cup butter
*3 tablespoons water
*3 cups whole almonds (or use 3 cups peanuts)

1. In a deep, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the sugars, butter, and water. Stir the mixture constantly to prevent scorching. Using a candy thermometer and medium heat, bring the mixture to 300 degrees. Do not stir. The temperature will rise as the water is boiled off, and this can happen quickly, so be prepared to lower the heat or remove the candy from the heat as needed.
2. As soon as the mixture reaches the desired temperature, remove it from the stove and add the nuts. Mix until all nuts are coated. Pour the nut mixture onto a greased cookie sheet and separate the nuts. Let cool for at least 15 minutes, then break into pieces.

20 comments:

  1. I really missed the co-op that I lived near while I was in Boston. I can't seem to find any in my near vicinity and I miss all the bulk goods!

    I love your attitude towards making this almond brittle - "Carrie Bradshaw can't make shoes" - LOL (I love Carrie btw). It looks fantastic. One of my favorite treats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i tend to get carried away in the bulk-bin aisle--it's easy to do, am i right?
    your almonds look excellent, and by making them at home, you can have them exactly the way you want them and you don't have to worry about contamination from handsy grocery shoppers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just absolutely love these. My workplace used to have bake sale and this one department sold caramel brittle. I'd buy so buy and munch on them. Now I can make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never really liked peanut brittle, probably because I'm not crazy about peanuts. I do like almonds (in fact the only chocolate bar I like is Hershey's Almond Bar)so this just jumped on my list of "must makes"! Such a lovely caramel too! Your photos are making me VERY hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you can figure out how to make your own flour, please let me know!! Your almond brittle looks perfect, I've always preferred almonds over peanuts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious-like candied nuts or broken brittle waiting in that pretty jar. I love that. Oh, and I always walk out of my local health food store with all of their grand bins wondering how I spent so much too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had fun in the bulk section of a our new Winco the other day. But I didn't see delicious almonds like these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmhhh, that looks lovely! I love brittle!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  9. The almond brittle looks wonderful. I envy you the markets in your area. Here we are like detectives or spies on a mission when we shop. Ah, well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post! I feel the same way - shoes are all a bit ho-hum, but I often leave the local farmer's markets wondering exactly how I'd spent so much on nuts. These almonds look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks delicious! I love almonds, and brittle too. I can relate to spending a ton in the bulk section--we have a chain of bulk stores here and I can never escape without spending a small fortune! I have recently found a local farm that mills your grains only when you buy them, for very fresh flour! Their oats are the best:) I had been thinking about buying a small grain mill to make my own flour...

    ReplyDelete
  12. The best looking almond brittle i've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum these look awesome!! Thanks for the recip!
    I just started a blog about food and wine and chocolate if youre interested www.sarahvino.blogspot.com Nice blog u have by the way! Love the photos!!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  14. MsMeanie, I have a Blog award for you on my...blog. :) I know they can be a pain to fill out and pass on, but I just wanted to let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally know the feeling of "overspending" on the bulk bins...everything tends to look so good sitting in them, and even more so if I go when slightly hungry! Next time I need a brittle, I'm giving this one a shot. Nice job, and I'd bet you could figure a way to make flour... (oat flour is the easiest to make by grinding whole oats in a food pro or coffee grinder)!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, great blog and yum recipes. Love the desserts you have posted!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I miss the bulk bins at the co-op a lot! There's no place here that has an even remotely similar selection of items. But thanks to you, I probably won't need it anymore, as I can start making everything myself. Please make granola next, I miss it :)
    And about the flour, isn't there a grinder attachment for the Kitchen Aid?

    ReplyDelete
  18. now i'm wishing i had some almonds at home!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look so irresistibly good. I would love to try them. Thanks for sharing. MaryMoh from http://www.keeplearningkeepsmiling.com

    ReplyDelete