Monday, April 12, 2010

The Baked Brownie

Firstly, I want to thank you all for your well wishes and kind words in my last post. I was amazed at the amount of support I received in the comments and I have come to realize that I have the BEST blog readers ever! :)

Now, let's talk brownies. I know what you're thinking - "another brownie recipe? Doesn't this girl get tired of chocolate, like ever?". The answer is "No. I don't." I am on a mission to find the best brownie recipe, even if that means baking a new batch every month and posting about them. A few weeks ago, I made the highly coveted King Arthur Flour brownies, and although I really enjoyed the texture of these - dense and fudgy, I felt they were a bit lacking in chocolate flavor. But since so many of my favorite fellow food bloggers love this recipe, I blame myself, and not the King, for their shortcomings. I will definitely try these brownies again, with a few changes, but in the meantime, I wanted to share another brownie recipe.

This one is the famous Baked brownie, created by the people at Baked bakery in Brooklyn, New York. These brownies were AMAZING. I brought one of these to work for an after lunch treat; one bite and I almost fell out of my chair - they were that good. They are rich, dense, and fudgy, and the brown sugar and espresso powder give them an unbeliveably delicious chocolate flavor. If you are looking for the perfect brownie, I highly recommend you try this one. You will not be disappointed!
Baked Brownie (from Baked – New Frontiers in Baking)
*1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
*1 teaspoon salt
*2 tablespoons dark unsweetened cocoa powder
*11 ounces dark chocolate (60 to 72% cacao), coarsely chopped
*1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
*1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
*1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
*1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
*5 large eggs, at room temperature
*2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the sides and bottom of a 9 x 13 glass or light-colored metal baking pan.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, salt and cocoa powder. Put the chocolate, butter, and instant espresso powder in a large bowl and set it over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate and butter are completely melted and smooth. Turn off the heat, but keep the bowl over the water and add the sugars. Whisk until completely combined, then remove the bowl from the pan. The mixture should be room temperature.
3. Add 3 eggs to the chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Add the remaining eggs and whisk until combined. Add the vanilla and stir until combined. Do not overbeat the batter at this stage or your brownies will be cakey.
4. Sprinkle the flour mixture over the chocolate mixture. Using a spatula (not a whisk), fold the flour mixture into the chocolate until just a bit of the flour mixture is visible.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the baking time, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out with a few moist crumbs sticking to it. Let the brownies cool completely, then cut them into squares and serve. Tightly covered with plastic wrap, the brownies keep at room temperature for up to 3 days.

26 comments:

  1. We must be on the same wavelength, since I was perusing brownie recipes last night... But, since you recommend this one, I probably can stop looking! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. So. Don't hate me. But I am not the biggest chocolate fan ever. So when I make brownies. they'd better be awesome. These look awesome. And totally worthy. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look sooo fudgy and rich! My stomach is growling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, man, if you say these taste better than the KAF brownies, I believe you. I've got to try these out ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those brownies are mouth-watering!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....buonissimi!!!!! ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'dense' is not a sufficient word to describe these brownies. i don't think such a word exists. they look phenomenal and utterly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look like great indeed, fudgy in a way that the flour just holds the pieces together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't keep up with baking all the delicious stuff you post. Well, I guess I'll never get beyond the chocolate cupcakes -- I made them for the 3rd time last weekend.
    But anyway, I love your quest for the best brownie recipe, and this one seems like a good milestone.

    Keep researching and writing, you're almost done, and I'm so happy for you! I just got my diploma in the mail today, and it's so pretty and shiny, it's worth all the years of hard work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look amazing! I am definitely a fan of the fudgy brownie, and these sound perfect. I doubt I'd be able to keep them around for 3 days though! Congrats on having the PhD finish line in view--I think you should have another brownie to celebrate:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your brownie looks very very dense....
    Should give me great satisfaction by nibbling it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look SO SO moist!!!!!!!! YUM! my kind of brownie!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't ever get tired of brownies or good, dark chocolate either. Brownies are easy and delicious-what more could one want? These look really good too, Ms. Meanie. 'Fudgy' is a good word judging by the photos...
    I hope you are doing well. I'm on vacation, but I wanted to drop in and say 'hi'!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was about to buy a box of Duncan Hines brownie today for a party on Thursday. Glad I decided against it cos I have this wonderful recipe! Talk about perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, those Brownies look to die for! So fudgy, moist and extremely irresistible!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  16. keep those brownies coming :) I admire (and salute) your dedication to chocolate, go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's so dense it almost looks like fudge! Yum.
    And it sure looks like caramel peeking out here and there although it's not on your ingredient list.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow...your brownies look very moist and delicious. I wish I can have a slice now! That will take me to Cloud 9 :D Thanks for sharing. MaryMoh at http://www.keeplearningkeepsmiling.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hate chocolate baked goods. But you've won me over with these luscious brownies. Gosh, look at that cross-section! The density! If that ain't sexy, I dunno what is!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the cross section part of the brownies and those wedges of melted choccie :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum, I think this just might be the thing to welcome home the children from school!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm thinking about making these tomorrow just for the heck of it...okay, just because I'm craving brownies, and these look amazing. I looked over the recipe carefully, and I love how different it is. I can already tell that these brownies are going to be fantastic. I love the addition of brown sugar. Thanks again for a great recipe, chica!! I will definitely link back to you when I try them out. I hope my photos turn out as great as yours b/c that close-up you took is just unbeatable. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  23. They look nice! And best of everything with the jobs/PhD closure, Dr! Oz of Kitchenbutterfly.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I made these yesterday and they are amazing brownies - just moist and lusious with the right amount of sweetness verses chocolate. I did add a spoonful or two of dark rum! Fantastic recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks everyone for the kind words!

    Marcellina, I'm so glad you enjoyed them? Aren't they wonderful? And ohmygoodness...dark rum sounds like a heavenly addition to these.

    ReplyDelete