Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Swedish Visiting Cake

I'd seen this cake made by the Tuesdays With Dorie group a few weeks ago, and I just could not resist. Maybe it was the simplicity of the recipe, or the rustic but oh-so-pretty pictures in Dorie's book, but something about this cake just called out to me.

This cake is seriously one of the most delicious cakes I have ever made and it probably took me about 15 minutes tops to prepare. Am I tooting my own horn? Sure, maybe a little, but not really, since the deliciousness of this cake is not a reflection of the baker, it is a reflection of the recipe. It is so simple to make and just wonderful to eat. Butter, flour, sugar, vanilla, and almonds...how can you go wrong? Plus, the batter is easily prepared in one bowl and doesn't require a mixer.

Best of all, this cake is just a blank canvas for so many variations I have in mind - maybe adding a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg, or topping it with a fruit compote, or folding in a handful of... chocolate chips (bet you didn't see that one coming). So rebellious yet so delicious too. The possibilities are seriously endless.


Swedish Visiting Cake (from Dorie Greenspan, Baking: From My Home to Yours)

*8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus more for pan
*1 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
*Grated zest of 1 lemon
*2 eggs
*1/4 tsp salt
*1 tsp vanilla extract
*1/2 tsp almond extract
*1 cup flour
*1/4 cup sliced almonds (blanched or not)
*powdered sugar (optional, for serving)

1. Center a rack in oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Butter a seasoned 9-inch cast-iron skillet or other heavy oven-proof skillet, a 9-inch round cake pan or even a pie pan.

2. Pour sugar into a medium bowl. Add lemon zest and blend zest into sugar with your fingers until sugar is moist and aromatic. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, until well blended. Whisk in salt and vanilla and almond extracts.

3. Switch to a rubber spatula and stir in flour. Finally, fold in melted butter. Scrape batter into prepared skillet or pan and smooth top with rubber spatula.

4. Scatter sliced almonds over top and sprinkle with sugar. If using a cake or pie pan, place pan on baking sheet. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden and a little crisp on outside; the inside will remain moist. Let cook slightly, and sprinkle with a bit of powdered sugar before serving.

25 comments:

  1. I love baking in a skillet, its got such a gorgeous, comforting look! And this sounds like a great simple cake, so easy to make - I would definitely love to try a fruity version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an almond fiend, so this version sounds just perfect.

    Any clue why it's called Visiting Cake? My guess would be that it's easy-peasy to whip up for company...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That so funny...I copied that recipe too! It looked lovely. Never thought of adding cchips to it though. ;)
    It's such a lovely, easy, almondy cake baked easily in a skillet. Named perfectly! Now that you're raving about it too, I'll make it for my Garden Club next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen this recipe on a couple of blogs indeed and it looks really nice AND easy to pull off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ms. Meanie, it sounds delicious with only 1 cup of flour in ratio to all of that other sweet, rich goodness. It's hot here, but I would love a piece of this with the green tea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my god, this looks so good. I'd seen this cake on other blogs when it was the Tuesdays With Dorie recipe. However, none of their cakes looked nearly as good as yours. So maybe it's not just the recipe, but the baker, too. Or the photographer, at the very least.
    Anyway, now I need to make it -- thank god it's almost Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i must have seen this somewhere else too, because it seems familiar. i really love simple cakes like this... without all the fuss, just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't this cake fabulous?! Seeing your pictures kind of makes me want to bake it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks super good. And I love your philosophy about adding choc. chips to just about everything -- I couldn't agree more! Do you ever make chocolate chip pancakes? Yum. :) I think we could be good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This cake didn't appeal to me b/c of the almonds on top and the cornbread look. I think you've convinced me to take a second look. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the text surrounding this recipe in Dorie's book, certainly one of my favorites. Yet, I've never made it myself! I will though, and I'm sure it will be as great as I imagine it to be. Your photos are lovely, too... and love your Lodge skillet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm a sucker for quick cakes and sliced almonds, so this is most definitely a winner in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's really amazing how delicious simple cakes like this can be! I would love this covered in some strawberry rhubarb sauce....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Go ahead and toot your own horn dear.... it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nothing beats a delicious moist cake. The ingredients are all common ones too. Sounds so easy to make and in such a short amount of time too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don’t know why I haven’t tried this cake yet. I am a huge almond lover. This cake is going at the top of my list now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Never tried this cake before OR maybe tried it but did not know the name?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I looks really yummy indeed. Simple and delicious. Great job! :) Petra

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is the second time I've seen/read someone sing the praises of this cake. Must attempt soon! Do you bulk buy chocolate chips? :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now I'm picturing it will fruit drizzled on top. It looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have this cookbook, and I KNOW I bookmarked this...but somehow never got to make it! I must make it this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so glad you made this! I loved it and now want to make it again, maybe with some rhubarb baked in or at least on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds wonderful! Love the name of your blog!!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete