Sunday, August 30, 2009

Daring Bakers Dobos Torte

The August 2009 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Angela of A Spoonful of Sugar and Lorraine of Not Quite Nigella. They chose the spectacular Dobos Torte based on a recipe from Rick Rodgers' cookbook Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Caffés of Vienna, Budapest, and Prague.

The Dobos Torte is a five-layer sponge cake filled with chocolate buttercream and topped with wedges of crunchy caramel. The orginal recipe called for a buttercream made with eggs and many of the other Daring Bakers had complained that it melted easily. Since I knew I'd be taking this cake to work, which is a 1 1/2 hr drive, I opted for a more resilient chocolate buttercream (recipe below). I added a bit of coffee to the buttercream and brushed on a simple syrup of kahlua and water to the cake layers. I finished off by covering the cake in toasted hazelnuts.

The most challenging part of the recipe was preparing the separate cake layers. I followed the recipe exactly but somehow ended up with 5 layers. They were still 5 layers of sponge cake and chocolate buttercream goodness. If I were to make this again I think I would skip the caramel topping. They were a bit too chewy and sweet for my taste.

Here are some comments from co-workers:

CW1: Fancy!
CW2: Wow! You made this from scratch? And the frosting is not from a can?!
CW3: Very yummy and not too sweet.

There you have it folks. Dobos definitely knew what he was doing when he came up with this cake. Check out the recipe here. Below is my favorite recipe for melt-free chocolate mocha buttercream (tried and tested after many many not-so-good recipes).

Chocolate Mocha Buttercream Frosting
  • 2 3/4 cup - 2 Tb confectioners sugar
  • 8 Tb cocoa powder
  • 6 Tb butter, NOT melted
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 Tb milk
  • 2 Tb strong coffee
1. In a large bowl, sift together the confectioners sugar and cocoa, and set aside.
2.
In another large bowl, cream butter until smooth. Gradually add in one quarter of the sugar mixture, 2 Tb at a time. Add in all of the vanilla, then another quarter of the sugar mixture, two tablespoons at a time. The mixture should be firm. At this point, gradually add the milk and coffee, alternating with 2 tablespoons at a time of the rest of the sugar mixture.

4 comments:

  1. Wow the torta looks so impressive. Your icing looks so dark and yummy (I think I will try it). Bravo and kudos to you. Cheers from Audax in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, you really aren't afraid of baking challenges, are you? This looks so so good, I wish I were your co-worker. I suggest we spend a week-long cooking / baking vacation together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks so yummy!! have you considered opening a bakery somewhere?

    ReplyDelete