Monday, January 11, 2010

New York Times CCC Again!


Change is a difficult thing. I'm always wanting to try new recipes, new desserts especially, but every time I contemplate which dessert to make next, I find myself craving the ones I'm most familiar with: brownies, chocolate cake, banana muffins, and of course -- chocolate chip cookies. I don't think there is ever a time when I don't want a chocolate chip cookie. Morning? Check. Before lunch? Check. After lunch? Check. Anyway, you get it...always!

If you are a food blogger or if you read food blogs, I am sure you have heard of the famous Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe published by the NY times last summer. I made the cookies shortly after the article was published, and unlike the other 4, 982, 623 food bloggers who have made this recipe, I was underwhelmed. The cookies were just too crispy for my taste, I prefer a soft, chewy cookie. Back then, however, I did not own a stand mixer (something the recipe calls for), and I complained a bit about recipes that required special ($200) appliances. Anyway, after all that complaining, I broke down, and bought myself a Kitchen Aid mixer a few months ago.

I tried these cookies again, this time of course using my KA, wondering if it would make a difference at all. And the verdict? YES this time around, I enjoyed the cookies much more. The texture was what everyone raves about. The cookies were much chewier than the first time, and they had the signature crisp edges that give away to a soft chewy center. BUT...I should point out that this doesn't necessarily mean that a stand mixer is essential for making these cookies properly. There is the hopeful part of me that believes that maybe these cookies were better because, well, maybe, just maybe, over the course of a year, I've gained some useful experience in the kitchen. Let's just say that's true.

So like the 4, 982, 623 others, I agree, this is a fantastic chocolate chip cookie. However, since I am a bigger fan of the chewy-all-over CCC, I personally prefer this cookie.

Here is a link to the recipe.

7 comments:

  1. I have tried the NY Times CCC but like you, did not fall in love... I guess I have to try Alton's recipe now!!

    Happy NEw Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm planning a party... would these cookies and/or dough freeze ahead of time?

    Thanks for the recipe and can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dolce -- nice to hear someone has the same feelings about these cookies. I LOVE Alton's recipe!

    ChocolateShavings -- thanks!

    Rebecca -- Yes, these cookies definitely freeze ahead of time (actually I have a log in my freezer right now). My one tip would be when you bake them, check them often for doneness, they should still be gooey in the middle when you take them out, otherwise they will be crispy when they cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw your post on foodgawker. While admittedly, I had good luck with the NY Times cookie, I just tried out a Cook's Illustrated recipe that you might want to try. No waiting, no stand mixers and best of all, you get the crunchy edges and chewy middle.

    -Jess "Klutzy Chef"
    http://klutzychef.wordpress.com/2010/01/12/chocolate-chip-cookie-take-2/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Alton's recipe, too. The NYT cookies are good, too. I love the photo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still need to bake these. What is wrong with me?

    ReplyDelete