Since zucchinis are now available at the farmers market here, I decided to try this recipe from Julia Child's Menu Cookbook. I modified it slightly to cut down the calories (I know, I know, Julia probably would not approve), but the result was still delicious. I guess I don't expect anything less from a Julia Child recipe.
Zucchini Boats with Purée of Parsnip (adapted from Julia Child)
For the Zucchinis:
- 5 medium sized zucchinis, halved lengthwise
- olive oil for brushing
- salt, pepper
For the Purée:
- 1 1/2 lb parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tb cream
- 1 Tb butter
- pulp from zucchini (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
2. Purée parsnips (and zucchini pulp) in a blender or food processor until very smooth.
3. Place the purée in a double boiler. Add cream, butter, salt, and pepper. Cook on double boiler, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes.
Fill each zucchini piece with a generous amount of purée. Garnish with fresh parsley.