Sunday, May 3, 2009

Cheddar and Green Onion Cornbread

Cornbread is really simple, yet healthy and so so good. Classic comfort food. What is really great about it is the endless possibilities of additions that work deliciously with the simple corn flavor. This time, I tried cheddar cheese, green onions, and crushed red pepper. I shredded some cheddar cheese, which made the cheese flavor very subtle. I think next time I will chop it up instead of shredding it to really bring out the flavor. The green onion and crushed pepper were a great touch. I like to make this bread in an iron skillet because it gives it a great crispy crust while keeping the center moist.

Cheddar and Green Onion Cornbread (adapted from Joy of Cooking)
1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 Tb sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
2 1/2 Tb butter, melted
1 cup milk (I've used 2% and skim, both would good results)
4 green onions, sliced
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (next time I'll use coarsely chopped)
1 Tb crushed red pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. If making this in an iron skillet, place the skillet in the oven while it preheats.
2. Stir together the first 4 ingredients (dry). Stir in the next 3 ingredients (wet). Gently stir in the green onions, crushed red pepper, and cheddar cheese.
3. Pour batter into heated skillet. Bake for 12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.


4 comments:

  1. yumm! Now I know the first thing to make in my new beautiful iron skillet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of adding green onion and crushed red pepper to the cornbread! That looks delicious!
    - Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great. I make a cheater's version of this using Jiffy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTDubs this recipe looks amazing. Maybe you can even add spicy to it. You ever seen packages of Jalapeno cornbread mix? I bet that would be a yum variation.

    ReplyDelete